I'm sure you've all heard about the crazy heat wave hitting the western U.S. right now. Many areas have put out heat advisories, warning people to be careful in the extreme heat. I'm sure most of you are outside playing soccer this summer, so here are a few tips from the Red Cross on how to stay safe during hot weather:
- Drink plenty of water, even if you don't feel thirsty. Dehydration can sneak up on you!
- Eat small meals and eat often.
- Avoid extreme temperature changes.
- Avoid wearing dark clothes because they absorb the sun's rays and will make you feel even hotter!
- Take it easy! If you go outside to play soccer, don't play at full intensity and take frequent water breaks.
- Try to avoid going outside during the hottest part of the day.
- Stay in the shade as much as possible!
Remember to pay attention to your body. If you're not feeling great, take a water break in the shade and relax until you feel better. Don't forget to pay attention to your pets, too! Make sure your cat, dog, or whatever pet you have, gets extra water when it's hot out!
What's your favorite way to stay cool during the summer? The other day I went to the movies after practice, just so I could be somewhere with air conditioning! Share your favorite way to cool off with us in the comments below!