This week's blog was originally going to be a "How-To" blog about a soccer drill, but after yesterday's USWNT vs. Korea Republic match, I think we need to dedicate a post to the amazing Abby Wambach!
The USWNT played the Korea Republic in a friendly match yesterday and won 5-0. Going into the game, Abby had scored 156 goals during international games prior to this; just two goals shy of Mia Hamm's record of 158 goals.
- In the 10th minute, Abby scored the first goal of the match off of an assist from Lauren Cheney. Goal 157 for her.
- In the 19th minute, Abby scored her 158th goal, once again off a pass from Lauren.
- And of course, Abby's record-breaking 159th goal was a spectacular header off of a corner kick from Megan Rapinoe in the 29th minute.
- Then, just before the first half ended, Abby added one more goal (#160).
- The fifth goal of the match was scored by Lauren Cheney in the 64th minute off of a pass from Kelley O'Hara.
Each time the crowd went wild, but the best reaction was to Abby's 159th goal. The whole team ran onto the field and engulfed her in a massive team hug, celebrating the new record with her. It was absolutely amazing to see the sheer joy on everyone's face and incredibly heartwarming to see the supportive teammates and crowd. They are a great example of what it means to be teammates.
You can see the highlights from the match in this video:
Abby has scored 160 international goals in 207 matches. That is 68 fewer games than Mia Hamm's record of 158 goals! Can you believe that? Ali Daei holds the record for men's international goals with 109 goals over the course of 148 matches.
So, how many more goals do you think Abby is going to score in her career? What's your favorite goal that she's scored? Tell us in the comments below!!!